Top 10 Breast Cancer Tips You Should Know To Lower Your Risk
Breast Cancer Awareness month (or Breast Cancer Prevention month as we like to call it at Keep A Breast) is over and by now you have probably seen your fair share of pink ribbons and sports stars going pink for breast cancer. But what does it mean? How can you lower your risk for cancer? And why should you care? If you are dizzy from navigating the pink ribbon craziness we are here to help with these 10 facts about breast cancer that everyone should know.
After you check out this Top 10 List – check out why these bands on the Vans Warped Tour connected with Keep A Breast. Make sure to share your stories of how the Traveling Education Booth has touched you in the comments below.
- CANCER IS NOT ONLY A HEREDITARY DISEASE. In fact only 5-10% is hereditary – so just because you don’t have any immediate family members with breast cancer – it doesn't mean you shouldn't take measures to lower your risk for disease.
- MEN CAN GET BREAST CANCER! Yes, that's right – actually some famous dudes have gotten cancer including the drummer of KISS, Peter Criss. Although it usually occurs among women, men have breast tissue and can develop breast cancer. About 2,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer happen each year.
- DON'T SMOKE! Women who smoke or inhale passive smoke may increase their risk of breast cancer by as much as 60 percent.
- EAT RIGHT! Keep to a high fiber, low-fat diet, and eat less red meat. Women who eat the most red meat have an 88 to 330 percent higher risk of breast cancer.
- WERK IT! Just 30 minutes of aerobic activity 3-5 times a week can lower your risk of breast cancer by 30 to 50 percent.
- PESTICIDES ARE TOXIC. Ok we all know that.. but did you know they can get in your DNA and mess with you on a cellular level. Check the sticker on your fruits and opt for the ones that start with a
- PLASTIC SUCKS! Plastic Sucks! Plastics slowly leach chemicals into our food, water, bodies and environment. Never reuse onetime use plastics, or microwave plastic containers.
- JUST CHILL. Stressed Out? Did you know that stress suppresses the immune system and is a major cause of disease? Why do you think everyone gets sick during finals?
- SIZE DOESN'T MATTER. Breast size does not impact your risk for cancer, however obesity does. The higher risk of breast cancer for women who gain weight is likely due to higher levels of estrogen, since fat tissue is a large source of estrogen among women.
- CHECK YOUR SELF! Let’s get serious, 1 in 8 women today will get breast cancer in their lifetime. Many of these women will find their own lumps before a doctor does. Download the FREE Keep A Breast Check Your Self app for iOS and Android for step-by-step instructions and a monthly text reminder. You will thank us later.